* Readable discussion of key issues of sustainable engineering and business design and practice
* Covers how to plan and implement a business practice that leads to an environmental, social and economic balance that results in profitable growth
A number of factors, from soaring fuel prices to genetically modified agricultural products, have greatly refocused worldwide attention on the interrelationship between technology and society and the necessity for sustainable engineering and business practices. Technology, Humans, and Society focuses on building a model for business and engineering that will lead to a sustainable world. The challenge for engineering is to develop new technologies that enable economic growth and do not deplete irreplaceable resources and destroy ecological systems.
No longer solely the domain of environmentalists and ecologists, 'sustainable' or 'green' business practices and engineering designs are becoming a central part of the planning of many of the world's most influential companies, such as Hewlett-Packard, Honeywell, Dow, and Agilent. Companies are overwhelmingly not only finding that sustainable business and engineering practices are good for environment, but also improve the image of the company and quite frequently the 'bottom-line.'
Dorf's 1975 publication, Technology and Society (ISBN: 0878350470), sold over 70,000 copies. The completely new Technology, Humans, and Society is created to meet the swelling demand for unified practices of both business people and technologists in the creation of a 'greener' sustainable world.
Engineers and technology and business managers.
Table of Contents
1. Sustainability, Economics and the Environment
3. Science, Technology and Progress
4. Sustainable and Appropriate Technologies
5. Business and Technology Methods
6. Engineering Design and Innovation
7. Business and the Corporation
8. Financial Costs Issues in Sustainable Business and Government
9. Energy, Environment, Economy and Society
11. Petroleum and Natural Gas
12. Electric Energy
13. Nuclear Power
14. Renewable Energy
15. Wind and Solar Energy
16. Biomass, Geothermal Energy and Energy Storage
17. Natural Resources and Waste Systems
18. Agriculture, Biotechnology and Resources
19. Materials and Manufacturing
20. Transportation Systems
21. Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
22. Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Economy
23. Corporate Performance Indicators
24. Social Entrepreneurship and Investing
25. Buildings, the Internet and the Future of a Sustainable World
|Produto sob encomenda||Sim|
|Ano da edição||23/1/2001|
|Número de Páginas||500|